Two Hour Delay Approved
Living in Northeast Missouri presents our school district with many challenges dealing with adverse weather. At times, severe weather conditions at 6:00 a.m. are much improved one or two hours later making it safe to continue school activities. The Kirksville R-III School District will begin using the option of a two-hour delayed start to the school day for inclement weather or other emergencies.
The need to close or delay the opening of our schools for the safety of our students and staff is a decision we take very seriously. We understand students are better served both academically and socially by being in school, however, student and staff welfare is our top priority.
Two-Hour Delay Procedure
- School officials will strive to announce the delay or cancellation of school by 6:00 a.m. via textcaster, local T.V. and radio outlets, and the school district website.
- When a two-hour delay announcement is made, buses may run regular routes or hard surface roads only. Please continue to monitor our website and local media outlets for updated information. If conditions deteriorate, a decision will be made to close all schools for the day by 7:30 a.m.
- During a Two-Hour Delay, morning bus transportation will be delayed two hours from normal pick-up times. This will apply to all students. Buses could be running slower due to weather conditions.
- When school is delayed, it is important that you Do Not Send or drop off your children at school prior to the delayed start time. Building staff will not be available to supervise children before that time.
- Morning Early Childhood classes will be canceled for the day with afternoon classes remaining as scheduled.
- NO Breakfast will be served. The lunch program will run as usual with some possible changes in serving times and\or menu.
- School dismissal will remain at the normal time when school is delayed.
- Scheduled co-curricular activities will be adjusted accordingly.
Two-hour Delay School Start Times
Early Childhood Learning Center No Morning Classes. Full day classes start at 10:10 a.m.
Kirksville Primary School 10:10 a.m.
Ray Miller 10:10 a.m.
William Matthew Middle School 9:43 a.m.
Kirksville High School 9:47 a.m.
Kirksville Area Technical Center 9:47 a.m.
*Buses will unload at each school approximately 2 hours after their normal times.